With the possibility of an incoming US recession bubbling to the top of the google trending list, and as high-profile business leaders and financiers on wall street chime in on social media, we are all left wondering what the immediate future holds for us, our country’s economy, and our personal way of life.
Historically, there’s a strong connection between recessions, an increase in economic anxiety, and threats to our personal safety. As the cost of everyday necessities continues to rise and the potential of an increase in theft-related crime becomes more real.
There’s another element to economic anxiety; Anger. Many people lose their jobs, live off of significantly reduced resources, and oftentimes develop anger and frustration that leads them to act irrationally and be more prone to violent behavior.
No one seems to know for certain whether our economy will hit a rough patch, but if it does – don’t be surprised when it happens.
Here are some ways you can use your Krav Maga training to help navigate these trying times:
- READ THE SIGNS – When you are in a need to defend yourself from whatever threat, it’s important to be proactive. Just like in Krav Maga, you want to think several moves ahead without losing track of what you’re doing at the moment. Be aware of what’s going on around you and adapt as necessary.
- MAKE YOURSELF RELEVANT WITH KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS – The best way to protect yourself financially is to build a skill set that keeps you relevant in the workforce. Don’t get comfortable with the knowledge you have. Continue to develop your mind and your body with learning exercises and training. The more you bring to the table the more leverage you’ll have.
- HAVE A PLAN B – Having a plan in place for when the unexpected occurs is invaluable. The more skills and trades you are versed in the more backup plans you can access or set in place. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
- STAY ACTIVE AND CONNECTED TO COMMUNITY – It’s important to be surrounded by like-minded people to help keep you on track. Whether it’s for training purposes or just to keep your spirits high, being connected to a community provides you with an invaluable support system.
- TRAINING REDUCES ANXIETY – Adopting more physical activity into your lifestyle will help release stress and anxiety dramatically. Keeping physically fit will help everything else fall into place and increase your confidence at the same time.
Recessions and violence like many other hardships in life are inevitable. We aren’t immune to any of these things, but we can control how we respond to them and hope to come out better on the other end of them. So stay calm and keep training. Don’t let a temporary setback derail your future goals.